Cairo High School Theatre, now known as "The Stage Makers," has concluded their wrap up of winter theatrical releases and are now gearing up to get ready for the spring musical release, "Into the Woods."
Auditions were held in December, and the cast has now been released:
- Giant - Morgan Griffin
- Cinderella’s Father - Mason Best
- Sleeping Beauty - Morgan Griffin Snow White - Layla Whitaker
- Granny - Layla Whitaker
- Steward - Iversyn Session
- Wolf Kyle - Boyett
- Cinderella’s Mother - Morgan Griffin
- Mysterious Man - Mason Best
- Lucinda - Lily Carrillo
- Florinda - Jenna Marie Melvin
- Cinderella’s Stepmother - Lydia Harrison
- Rapunzel’s Prince - Keyshawn Mitchell
- Rapunzel - Merritt Helton
- Jack’s Mother - Olivia Woods
- Jack - Markus Russo
- Little Red Riding Hood - Ella Singletary
- Cinderella’s Prince - Kyle Boyett
- Cinderella - Georgia Barham-Taylor
- The Baker’s Wife - Turner Mabry Baggett
- The Baker - Ellis Hendrix
- The Witch - Kennedi Smart
- The Narrator - Corrine Carrillo
Performance dates have been tentatively scheduled for April 23-24. As Theatre Director Ms. Austin Harrell told the Red & Black in December, since theatre is an after-school-only class this year, rehearsals will be scheduled around students' extra-curriculars and jobs. The plan is to rehearse at least twice a week from January-April, and then have a full "tech week" during the week leading up to the show.
Mrs. Harrell said that she has always loved the music and script of "Into the Woods" and feels that its ensemble cast will allow many student actors to shine.
The story centers around a Baker and his wife, who wish to have a child; Cinderella, who wishes to attend the king's festival; and Jack, who wishes his cow could give milk. The Baker's family realizes that they have been put under a curse by a witch, meaning they cannot have a child. The two married family members set off on a journey to break the curse, determined to have a family. Everyone's wish goes on to be granted; however, as the characters learn, everything has consequences, and they must come face-to-face with the terrible results of their actions which will haunt them.
Currently, all roles have been filled by a large cast that is dedicated to bringing this story to life. However, the Drama Club is still needs help from others outside the cast, including business sponsors to fund the production of the play. If you or your business are interested in sponsoring our show, please contact Mrs. Austin Harrell (Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come out to support our Stage Makers this spring as they present "Into the Woods" for the Syrupmaker community!
Get all the latest school and local news from the student journalists of the Red & Black by visiting their website here!